Also visit:

Saturday, January 25, 2014


 The Synodical Female College

One of the earliest educational institutions in the Shoals.

Located south of Wilson Park, east of the current post office in Florence, AL. Now occupied by a postal parking lot, there is nothing (except this sign) to suggest the historical significance of this site. 

The Synodical Female College was a very important place in Florence during the years 1855 to 1893.  It faced Wilson park and was an imposing three story building.  There was an adjoining dormitory which was torn down in 1911 to make way for the present post office.  The school building continued to be used for various functions until it was demolished in 1972.


Saturday, January 4, 2014


Tabernacle Cemetery

On Saturday, June 1, 2013, the family and friends of Tabernacle Cemetery 
erected this historical marker to memorialize an important burial ground.

It is on County Road 47 ,  south of Rogers High School in Green Hill.